business

Oct. 28, 2021

NEO SENOKO

3 min read

New electricity projects launched

New electricity projects launched

Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro

Story highlights

  • Government drags its feet on vandalism
  • LEC is plunged in financial disarray due to property and copper theft

Metro Radio Podcast

Catch our weekly audio broadcast every Friday only on Metro Radio Podcast News.

listen now

About Metro Sponsored Stories

The Metro sponsored stories are produced in association with paying partners. If you would like to speak to our team about producing and publishing high quality content on our site.

Contact us

WHILE the Lesotho Electricity Company (LEC), a 100 percent government-owned entity established to supply environmentally friendly electricity to the people of Lesotho is struggling to deal with theft and vandalism of electrical cables across the country, government does not seem to address this matter - instead new electrification projects are being launched.

This is despite the LEC declaring in June the loss of millions of maloti through vandalism of electrical cables among other things.

The utility company has sought assistance from other government agencies in an effort to put the matter to bed.  

Among other things, distribution transformers are being vandalized for their copper windings while cables are stolen and eventually find their way into the market.

“We are working tirelessly to try and deal with these issues. But at the same time we are expecting law enforcement agencies such as police and courts to also come to the party and help us put on hold this form of crime,” LEC Public Relations Manager, Makhetha Motšoari told Metro in an interview on Tuesday.

The Government, though its relevant agencies, seems reluctant to deal with the matter as an emergency but at the same time continues to launch more electricity projects that may subsequently be impacted by the same challenges that have seen the utility company losing an estimated M21 million annually.

In June, LEC declared, and not for the first time, that it is plunged in financial disarray as a result of property and copper theft that keeps on spiking each year.

The impact of vandalism is then easily passed on to the consumers and negatively impact to economy.

Mr Motšoari said among other measures, LEC is holding public gatherings in different villages to create awareness on the matter. He made an example of a person who was killed by members of the community in Mazenod recently, who accused him of stealing electrical cables.

Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.

“People are now aware of this form of crime and we continue spreading the message through different platforms going forward. Community members should also help us in protecting their property,” he added.

Last week Friday, Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro and his entourage launched the electrification project financed through the Universal Access Fund (UAF) in Ha Rakobeli and Ha Arone areas.

The funding of the project was approved by the Lesotho Electricity and Water Authority (LEWA), an electricity and water sector regulating body that regulates electricity, urban water and sewerage services at the cost of M4 291 283.03 for Ha Rakobeli and M8 961 874.74 for Ha Arone.

Dr Majoro said in Ha-Arone, 331 families representing five villages are going to benefit from the project.

“We have given the contractor only 30 weeks (seven months) to complete the project. That means in May next year, the project should be completed and the people in these villages will be able to start using their electricity,” the PM said during the launch on Friday.

The tender for this project has been awarded to Ramajake Thulo through his company, JR Holdings.

Dr Majoro hailed the company, urging it to ensure that the residents of the surrounding areas further benefit through the short-term employment throughout the project.

 

Share the story

METRO WEATHER FORECAST