After the workers held a series of demonstrations against their low salaries which began on May 14, a Cabinet Sub-Committee met the workers unions last week Wednesday and promised that the workers’ grievances which include the release of the said gazette would be heard and addressed not later than Monday this week.
The government made the pledge after appealing to the workers unions to temporarily halt the strikes while the issues at hand were being addressed.
Deputy General Secretary of the National Clothing Textile and Allied Workers Union (NACTWU), Tšepang Makakole says despite the promise made, the government through the Ministry of Labour and Employment has not released the gazette like promised.
He said during the meeting held on Monday, the unions were told that legal representatives of both the labour ministry and Cabinet have advised against the issuing gazette at this stage. “However, the Minister of Labour and Employment Mr Moshe Leoma has promised to make an official statement later on Tuesday, regarding the gazette and factory workers' salaries,” Mr Makakole said.
He showed that the workers halted their demonstrations after some of them were injured during the ensuing run-ins with the police.
He said five workers including four males and a female were arrested by police during the strike, adding however, that only the female worker was later released without any charges being laid against her.