Metro Rate Cards

Heath care professionals to get PPE, risk allowances

PROMISING: Deputy Prime Minister, Mathibeli Mokhothu

July 31, 2020 2 min read

MASERU - The government has responded positively to the health workers and practitioners’ grievances to provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and risk allowances, an agreement that has immediately seen the suspension of the go-slow in the sector.

Deputy Prime Minister, Mathibeli Mokhothu, said health care professionals will receive risk allowances for a period of six months starting from the first COVID-19 case registration in Lesotho, which was in May. He also said health care practitioners working at isolation facilities will each get M3 500 while those stationed at Christian Health Association health facilities and the Queen ’Mamohato Memorial Hospital will each receive M3 000 with nurses and doctors at the isolation facilities pocketing M2 000. The COVID-19 risk allowances could also be extended for the duration of the pandemic. Besides the risk allowances, health practitioners also demanded to be given the in order to be able to handle suspected COVID-19 cases without fear.

Mokhothu revealed that the PPE that the government has bought to date include disposable aprons, surgical masks and face shields among others and still expecting to receive disposable cloths, shoe covers, head covers, sanitizers, fumigating liquids and scanners form the suppliers. The healthcare professionals went on strike after their demands were not met by the government. 


Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive features and newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.


Metro News Digital

Get Your Free Online Newspaper

In other news, healthcare workers also demanded their own quarantine centre together with their family members and as a result, the government has also arranged a facility at which healthcare professionals will be admitted and taken good care of.

They had earlier asked for a risk allowance equal to 30% to their salaries and for the government to generally ensure their safety.

The Minister of Health Motlatsi Maqelepo pleaded with the health workers to engage the ministry whenever they have complaints as opposed to going on strike and further apologised to Basotho who did not receive services when the strike was on-going.

Coalition of health professionals’ deputy public relations officer Dr Mojakisane Ramafikeng promised they will work as expected since their grievances have been met now.

Share this story

[[message]]

Loading Question


Related Stories