Metro Rate Cards

No edition of Moshoeshoe Walk this year

His Majesty King Letsie III at a past Moshoeshoe Walk event


Feb. 8, 2021 2 min read

2 min read


THE 2021 version of the historic Moshoeshoe Walk, which traces the route the founder of Basotho, King Moshoeshoe I followed as he led his people to the sanctuary of the Thaba-Bosiu Mountain in the 19th century against the then raging Lifaqane Wars, has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The annual event which is approximately 116 kilometres long, entices both local and international communities.

The three-day show starts from Menkhoaneng in the Leribe district and ends in Thaba-Bosiu, Maseru.

This year’s edition, previously scheduled to take place from March 10-12, was also to be held in remembrance of one of the event’s regular participants and fervent hiker, 'Malipolelo Theko who passed away in December, according to the founder of the initiative, Thabo Maretlane of T-Connexion. 

“COVID-19 kills. Life comes first, the rest follows. I have buried many people who were close to my heart. I will see you next year my friends with a better and bigger Moshoeshoe Walk. We will be celebrating 15 years anniversary. We will do smaller walks along the way this year, as the dust settles,” Maretlane told fellow participants.

However, the news did not come as a devastating blow to loyal participants of the walk, including some who in December engaged in a warm-up show, in preparation for the main event.

Under the title ‘Moshoeshoe Walk Warm-up’, the participants walked from Ha ’Makhoarana to Malimong in the Berea district.

“This is sad but understandable; at least we are hopeful that the COVID-19 vaccine will protect several lives against this deadly virus, so we are confident that next year, we are going to be a bunch of healthy hikers,” said Matšeliso Phako who is a regular hiker and participant at the walk.


Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive features and newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.


Metro News Digital

Get Your Online Newspaper

The annual event that began in 2007 has been hailed by His Majesty King Letsie III, as a successful historical and international milestone for Basotho.

In the last episode of the show that was held in March 2020, Maretlane showered both Their Majesties King Letsie III and Queen ’Masenate Seeiso with praises for participating in the event, despite the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic, which had just broken out in Lesotho.

“The event also offers an opportunity to trace all locations that are key to the history of Basotho,” Maretlane also said.

The edifying event draws participants from all over the southern African region, especially from South Africa, eSwatini, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Share this story

[[message]]

Loading Question


Related Stories