Metro Rate Cards

Kamoli’s case postponed again

Former army chief Lt Gen Tlali Kamoli


Nov. 20, 2020 2 min read

2 min read


FORMER army commander Lieutenant General Tlali Kamoli who faces a litany of charges including murder and attempted murder will finally have his day in court when the High Court hears his case next week Tuesday.

Kamoli is among others charged with the June 25, 2015 murder of his successor Lt Gen Maaparankoe Mahao along with several attempted murder counts related to the January 2014 bombings of the residences of the former First Lady ’Maesaiah Thabane and the then police boss Khothatso Tšooana.

The former army chief is charged together with fellow soldiers including Major Pitso Ramoepane, Captain Litekanyo Nyakane, Corporal Mohlalefi Seitlheko and Sergeant Heqoa Malefetsane.

Justice Charles Hungwe who presides over the matter was supposed to on Monday hand down a ruling in an application earlier filed by the accused.

But the judgment was once again postponed to next week Tuesday as some of the accused’s lawyers did not show up in court this week.

One of the defence counsel Advocate Letuka Molati told the court that some of his colleagues could not make it to court, adding that he also received details of the day’s proceedings at the last minute.

But Adv ’Naki Nku for the Crown was not impressed by the postponement, arguing the lame excuses of always postponing the matter did not portray a good impression of the justice system.

She said the case has been dragging in court for the past two years, adding that it was high time justice was served in the matter to give the affected families some peace of mind and closure.


Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive features and newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.


Metro News Digital

Get Your Online Newspaper

Justice Hungwe said all representatives of the accused knew about the judgment day but decided not to show up in court as if they are intentionally delaying the case.

The case had previously been postponed to November 13 then to November 18, in order to enable the new defense lawyers to get familiar with the contents of the matter.

This was after King’s Counsel Zwelakhe Mda who represented both Sergeant Heqoa and Corporal Seitlheko withdrew from the case without explaining why.

 

Share this story

[[message]]

Loading Question


Related Stories