April 17, 2022


3 min read

Solitary Gabuza strike sinks Amakhosi

Solitary Gabuza strike sinks Amakhosi

SuperSport's Thamsanqa Gabuza

Story highlights

    Chiefs needed victory to stay in touch with Royal AM
    Matsatsantsa were looking to bounce back from their Nedbank Cup exit to TTM last week

Metro Audio Articles

Catch our weekly audio news daily only on Metro Radio Podcast News.

listen now

SUPERSPORT United kicked off the post-Kaitano Tembo era in style by beating Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 in the DStv Premiership on Saturday evening at the FNB Stadium.

Thamsanqa Gabuza's second-half goal settled the contest in Johannesburg as Andre Arendse's side halted a four-match winless run to put a dent in Amakhosi's bid for Caf Champions League football.

Chiefs needed victory to stay in touch with Royal AM, who went four points clear in second place following a 1-1 draw with Cape Town City earlier in the evening.

Meanwhile, Matsatsantsa were looking to bounce back from their Nedbank Cup exit to TTM last week, which ultimately cost Tembo his job.

The hosts made the better start in front of their returning fans and forced two early corners, the second of which led to their first chance on six minutes when Siyabonga Ngezana steered a header inches wide of the right post from close range.

The Pretoria outfit threatened for the first time on the quarter-hour mark via a tame long-range effort from Jesse Donn that drew a routine save out of Brandon Peterse.

Ronwen Williams was called into action five minutes later to deny Bernard Parker from inside the area after he got on the end of Reeve Frosler's cross, while back up the other end Donn linked up well with Thapelo Maseko, who fired straight at Petersen from inside the box on the left in the 25th minute.

Maseko tested Petersen again on 36 minutes, this time with a strike from range before Williams pulled off a superb save to keep out Khama Billiat from inside the area and the goalkeeper breathed a sigh of relief when Nkosingiphile Ngcobo blazed wide on the rebound.

The first half ended with Gabuza shooting over the crossbar on 45 minutes after bringing Gamphani Lungu's delivery under control inside the box.

Cole Alexander was just a whisker away from giving Chiefs the lead on 57 minutes when he connected with Billiat's cross to direct a header narrowly beyond the left post and Parker forced Williams into a save four minutes later with a strike from inside the area on the left.

Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.

However, SuperSport silenced the home crowd on 68 minutes as Gabuza converted Lungu's cross from close range after they hit Stuart Baxter's team on the counter.

Gabuza looked to turn provider five minutes later when he crossed for Lungu, who could only head the ball wide of the left post.

The Soweto giants attempted to rally, but the best they could muster in the closing stages was a long-range strike from Frosler that produced a comfortable save out of Williams in the 75th minute.

Kaizer Chiefs (0) 0

SuperSport United (0) 1 (Gabuza 68')


Kaizer Chiefs:B. Petersen, N. Blom, S. Ngezana, R. Mphahlele, R. Frosler, C. Alexander (S. Radebe 71'), P. Nange, B. Parker (K. Sekgota 84'), N. Ngcobo, S. Nurkovic (L. Castro 63'), K. Billiat.

SuperSport United:R. Williams, K. Phillips, S. Nhlapo, L. Fleurs, O. Bhasera, S. Rasebotja (A. Ngoma 52'), J. Donn, T. Mbatha (J. Webber 71'), T. Maseko (K. Johannes 82'), T. Gabuza, G. Lungu (S. Maziko 82'). DStv Premier News


Share the story