THE trial in which nine members of the Lesotho Defence Force (LDF) are charged with the murder of the former army boss, Lieutenant General Maaparankoe Mahao failed to continue on Monday as some of the accused tested positive for COVID-19.
Sept. 21, 2021
2 min read
Mahao murder trial postponed again
Former army boss, the late Lt Gen Maaparankoe Mahao
- Some of the accused tested positive for COVID-19
- SC Shaun Abrahams re-engaged as lead prosecutor
Metro Radio Podcast
Catch our weekly audio broadcast every Friday only on Metro Radio Podcast News.listen now
The case was as a result postponed to Friday because the accused in question are currently in quarantine.
Last week the matter was rescheduled because the lead prosecutor, Senior Counsel Shaun Abrahams was not around.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Advocate Hlalefang Motinyane told the court that although Abrahams earlier withdrew from the case, he has however been re-engaged.
“But due to unforeseeable circumstances and bureaucratic issues he could not make it to court,” she said
The accused include Motsamai Fako, Motšoane Machae, Tšitso Ramoholi, former LDF Commander, Lt Gen Tlali Kamoli, Litekanyo Nyakane, Haleo Makara, Lekhooa Moepi, Marasi 'Moleli and Mohlalefi Seitlheko.
Enjoy our daily newsletter from today
Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.
They face multiple charges comprising murder, attempted murder, theft, obstruction of justice, damage to property, aggravated assault and risk of injury or death.
Most of these crimes allegedly occurred in Ha Lekete or Ha Ratjomose in Maseru on June 25, 2015 the day Mahao was gunned down. The case continues before Justice Charles Hungwe. LeNA